Monday 10 October 2011

L.A. Guns


Sutton in Ashfield: The Diamond: 30-9-11






L.A. Guns! bloody hell, the last time I saw these was on the Hollywood Vampires tour in Nottingham. What year was that? god knows & I don't feel like counting. The funny thing is, I wasn't too over concerned or interested in them at the time. I'd gone along to the show with someone who dug them large portion. But at that particular moment in time L.A. Guns appeared to me, to be lumped in with a particular genre that I didn't much care for. 
 You know the sort I'm talking about; all backcombed hair, numb, mindless attitude & ripped t-shirts advertising a rather feeble brand of whisky.
 A lot of the bands around at the time appeared to have their heads stuck so far up their own arses, that an industrial shoehorn was the only utensil capable of extricating their misbegotten heads.
Oooh, I must have been one hell of a moody, surly faced bugger.








 The funny thing is I'd seen Phil Lewis many times before with his previous band 'Torme.' For this reason alone I should have given L.A Guns the benefit of the doubt. This, tied in with Phils' recent triumphant exploits with the Heavy Metal Kids, made Madame Tightpocket & me get off our perfectly formed arses & head on down the motorway to take in a couple of shows from those fine fellows; L.A. Guns.









So it was, our first port of call was the 'Diamond' in Sutton in Ashfield. A fantastic little venue, which affords a great view for all concerned. There was a real buzz about the place prior to the band coming on & it was with great relief that I didn't feel the misgivings & doubt that I experienced the last time I saw them.
 Once the intro tape of Tom Jones 'What's new pussycat' was over, they hit the stage in a flash of colour & noise. Aaah, now that's what I call rock'n'roll.









A lot of the old songs were there, like no mercy & sex action, (naturally) but yours truly was suitably impressed with material garnered from more recent albums. 
 Vampire & Hellraisers ball, sounded awesome; all basic, stripped down, in your face rock'n'roll. Now this is more like it.
 When our Phil nipped off for a breather, Stacey Blades & Scott Griffin treated us to a real romper stomper version of 'nothing better to do'. 
 The only complaint I had over the whole evening; & it's only a minor whinge, was when Phil skipped off for a  2nd breather (steady on now Phil) we were treated to a bit of an instrumerntal piece. Which is cool, but it all became a bit self  indulgent on the fret gymnastics.  Like I said, only a minor whinge (just my own personal).







Not only are this band a red hot live proposition, but they also look the part. I guess they always did. Scotty Griffin & Stacey Blades on bass & guitar respectively, look the absolute dogs bollocks. 
 Steve earthshaker Riley on drums is an absolute powerhouse of a drummer & seeing them on a smaller stage in a more personal in your face venue, suits 'em down to the ground. Make no bones my dears, L.A. Guns rocked our world at the Diamond.




                                  
My dears I can only apologise for overloading this blog with snaps, so have a trawl through 'em, make your own mind up, then nick & nab any that may take your fancy.

Chin Chin my dears.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent as usual, wish I hadn't bothered to take my camera!
    Caught The Guns again a few days later in York and what an anti-climax, small stage, small audience,and no encore, say's it all really....
    As you rightly say,Phil Lewis should get out of his comfort zone and do some more gigs with HMK

    ReplyDelete