Tuesday 19 April 2011

New York Dolls

Manchester Academy. 29-03-11.



 Oh woah woah & thrice woah. First & foremost let me have a right good proper whinge. For tonights show I shelled out the princely sum of £52.50 for two £23.50 tickets. Booking fees! What a right old bunch of arse.
 But hey; this is the New York Dolls right? Surely it's gonna be worth it? Wrong!
Now I've seen this band on several occasions since their reformation & they've never failed to blow me away.
But tonight; well the whole thing seemed to be more than a little lacklustre.



They opened the show with 'looking for a kiss' & right then I knew something was amiss. One of the most iconic rock'n'roll songs of the 20th century went by with more of a whimper than a bang.
 I can only put this down to the change in personnel. Steve Conte & Sami Yaffa were so noticeable by their abscence. Don't get me wrong this is no fault of the Dolls or of the missing parties.For a fuller explanation of this please check out  'El Diablo' my fellow bloggers' interview with Steve Conte at http://itsaxxxxthing.blogspot.com/2011/04/el-diablo-in-conversation-with-steve.html  
 Top work mate.

 Without Steve & Sami, the whole band ethos was missing & it felt to me like a  David Johanson solo project.
Syl Sylvain; god love Syl. Every time I've witnessed the Dolls, he's played every gig like it's gonna be his last but tonight that fire & passion was missing.
So that's where Blanche from coronation street disappeared to.
Frank Infante from Blondie has taken over lead guitar duties.  He looks every inch the New York Doll & he's no slouch behind a fretboard, so why was I so disappointed? 



 Maybe it's the quality of the material on the new album. It has a few decent moments but it's not a patch on the previous two offerings. 
 Man I couldn't even be bothered to vye for position to get a few decent shots. 
 Now Mrs Tightpocket thoroughly enjoyed the whole show, but it is the first time she's seen them.
 I don't know, maybe I'm a grumpy old sod who expects too much. 
 However one thing I do know for certain; I will never part company with such an amount of my hard earned groats to see this show again.
Until next time dear readers.
 Chin chin.

2 comments:

  1. That's Earl Slick on guitar mate.
    Anyway, you're echoing my views on the Glasgow show when they supported Alice Cooper.
    I said something about it being pedestrian and that pedestrian isn't a word that should be used in the same sentence as The New York Dolls.
    It wasn't that they were bad, and similar to your good wives view it's very enjoyable if you haven't seen them before, but some of us have, and it's a shadow facsimile of what we know they are capable of.
    As the great Soundcheck magazine says, 'It's The Two York Dolls' now.
    Be warned though. The lady friend of the bass guitarist emailed me to complain about my less than positive review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello mate,good to hear from you. I realised I'd made the line-up mistake when I saw your review.
    Alas it seems that some people just can't take a little constructive criticism. Let's hope they don't send the boys round.

    ReplyDelete