Monday 21 February 2011

DEVILISH PRESLEY.

Aaah, greetings dear reader. Come hither & tarry a while, put up thy feet & rest thou weary head....for I have a story to tell.
 'Twas the night of August 3 in the year of our lord 2006. However this little tale starts some 30 years previous.
 Many moons ago there was a very talented writer who wrote for a weekly music rag. Many of us hung on his word with baited breath.
 One week in particular he wrote a retrospective piece on the New York Dolls. Your genial host was dragged in; hook,line, sinker & thigh high gum boots. There was one particular phrase however, which I found quite beautiful & which kind of stuck with me for a long time. He said of the Dolls when they played Bibas in London 'They had a lease on your minds eye which lived with you forever'. I kind of half knew what he meant but couldn't quite put my finger on it.
   Fast forward some 30 years to the Cleethorpes Winter gardens, (now sadly reduced to a pile of rubble) where your old mate Flash Tightpocket had made the 70 mile journey to see the Damned.
 There were 4 bands in total on the bill & after a couple of worthy efforts I made my way to the bar.
 As I was repairing to my seat on the sidelines, I was hit like a punch in the throat. For there on stage was everything I loved about rock'n'roll.
 This 2 piece were flash they were brash & they made the most beautiful rock'n'roll noise. On guitar & vocals Mr Johnny Navarro prowling the stage like a horned demon victorian undertaker & on bass & vocals Ms Jacqui Vixen, like the coldly vampiric love child of Cruella deVille & Betty Page (I know, I know, the biology doesn't quite sync but you get the picture).

  In a 40 minute blaze of colour & noise they were gone & yours truly was properly hooked.
 Moreover those words of 30 years hence came straight back at me. Now I know what they meant.
 I have subsequently seen this band countless times since. Have I ever tired & wearied of seeing them? Like hell I have. This is the band I'd been waiting for all my life. Such well crafted songs & instantly memorable.
Devilish Presley are about to embark on a British tour in support of their 5th (count 'em) album out in May.
 May I add that's 5 albums all self financed, completely untainted by the cold dead clutches of a record companys hands.

 Miss this band at your peril they ooze the very essence of rock'n'roll, like the Heartbreakers,the Ramones & T'Rex before 'em.
 Recently, 'er indoors & myself took a 200 mile trek to Colchester to watch this band. We were stuck in snow & traffic for 8 hours & they refused to go on stage 'til we got there. 11.45pm. How many bands do you know who'd do that? They care & so should all of us, don't let your apathy & indifference kill 'em off.
 So dear reader, try to catch 'em at one of the above venues & in the unlikely event that you should come back to your old mate Flash & tell me that you weren't impressed, then you have the piss of a fetid old tramp coursing through your veins.

 Chin Chin my dears.
All live snaps from Bradford Zuu bar 29-1-11

2 comments: