Saturday 9 March 2013

SPIZZENERGI

LEEDS BRUDENELL  8-2-13



A funny thing happened to me on the way to the forum.  Or at least while I was walking to the Brudenell!
 Y'know how it is when you're walking somewhere with a sense of purpose, all wrapped up in your own thoughts! 
 Having parked the jam jar up at my brothers place. I was building up a rare old head of steam as I made my way to watch SpizzEnergi play their first show in Leeds for many a yonker.
Thoughts went from wondering which of their old songs they'd play, to the actual name of the band & how much it reminds one of those 'Johnny come lately', sugar loaded energy drinks. 
Just as I was deciding how I would design & package this new mega bucks making brand, the perfect photo opportunity hit me front & centre, right between the eyes!
 There was I, faced with an army of promotional vans & trucks for a well known taurene & sugar laced drink, all with a huge oversized can of the same bovine perspiration laced product on the back. 
So ask yourself dear reader, did your old mate Flash reach for his camera & capture the moment like 'Cartier Bresson' would? DID HE BLOODY HELL!  He just stood there with his mouth wide open like some simple minded cretin! 
Maybe this could be setting a new precedent, where thoughts become fluid, become reality! So how come nothing ever happens when my mind conjures up images of scantily clad Valkyrian warrior goddesses with cleavage you could ski down?     Bugger!













How the hell do I follow that? Well I guess making amends by taking a few shots of SpizzEnergi would be a bloody good start!
I saw Spizz in Leeds over a thousand years ago but I think the last time I attended one of their shows was at Trent Poly in the mid 1880s , I say attended because I have little or no memory of the show. I was really, rather drunk! In fact I was so drunk I had to be carried back to the car!! It's a theory of mine that I do believe,  someone slipped a Mickey Finn into my drink!!!  Honest Guvnor!!
















After my minor scuffle with the mindfuck police & the army of energy drink vehicles it was grand to get to the Brudenell & see my old mate Luca, guitarist with SpizzEnergi & the Derellas! 'Twas also grand to actually have a drink at a gig & not have to worry about driving.
In the venue, our man Spizz was meeting, greeting, pressing the flesh & posing for pictures for anyone who so desired.
 I've seen this guy in action at various venues in London & I have to report, his prowess when it comes to networking & pushing the good name of his band is absolutely second to none, nay it's legendary!!
But enough of my rambling & musings, it's 9.30 in the Brudenell; IT'S SHOWTIME!!














 Oh what a show these boys put on! 
From the moment they took to the stage we were spellbound.  As a unit, as a whole, they are totally visually compelling. Now this is what a band should look like! Hell, they make a photographers job so damn easy.
As the lights were dimmed the band struck up the opening salvo of 6000 crazy, setting the scenario for our Spizz to saunter on stage with a real 'couldn't care less' swagger whilst donning  a magnificent 'Cyrano de Bergerac' face mask!
The sound is a lot more guitar driven than days of yore, I guess it ought to be, there's two of  'em nowadays! It's quite incredible how those old songs seem to have been given a new French kiss of life, making them sound as good, if not better than they ever did.  "Mega city 3, European hero, soldier soldier, central park & spocks missing" to name but a few, were all given the freshened up Spizz treatment. Nicely polished off with fantastic covers of 'I fought the law', 'The model' & lest ye forget, the iconic 'Where's Captain Kirk'.
In his custom made Spizz stage garb, this fine handsome young fellow had the audience in the palm of his hand, throwing shapes 'a' plenty & making sterling use of  his finely honed stage craft. What a performer!
 My dears I have to report! I was knocked out, bowled over & rogered senseless (metaphorically speaking)  by this performance. I never expected them to be this good, shame on me! 
 A tip of the hat & a tug of the forelock must surely go to Mr John Keenan, a man who has been booking quality bands in Leeds for as long as I can remember & a good while before then, I'll wager. 











After a couple of jars with Luca & the boys 'twas time to wave farewell & with their instruments strapped to their backs they disappeared into the Leeds night.
 Make no bones my fluffy little swamp ducks, if SpizzEnergi are playing a town near you, get yourselves along, for thou shalt be thoroughly entertained!!




Chin chin!!

2 comments:

  1. great photo,s ,great band.your a natural at this old photography game mark. keep em coming,and steady with them weights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sir, would that be my old mate John?

    ReplyDelete