Tuesday 27 December 2011

TV SMITH & the Valentines play the Adverts.

Manchester: Night & Day: 17-12-11


Having missed this guys show at Leeds due to major economic deprivation, it was with great joy & rejoicing when we discovered he was playing in Manchester a few days later. A mere 60 miles across the Pennines & the old girl & me were ordering very cheap drinks at the bar of the Night & Day club & taking in the last few songs of the first band, the Adjustors. I can't really say too much about 'em, as we only saw the latter part of their set, but suffice it to say, they did appear mildly reminiscent of a certain 'Slaughter & the Dogs', even down to their Wayne Barrett haircuts.
Next up was Leeds very own 'Cyanide Pills'. My dears, it does appear, that major apologies are in order here; for I was more than a little unkind to these fine fellows in a previous post. 
 Having given Cyanide pills a good fair listen on this chilly eve, I do have to report; that we were more than impressed with their well crafted pop punk tunes. Stand out tune for me, (& it's worth a Brit award for the title alone) was 'Johnny Thunders lived in Leeds'. My cherubs, I found myself having to stifle a bit of a titter, for the title is quite true & what's more I know with whom Herr Thunders stayed. great work fellas.
 Without further ado & in another quick turnaround 'twas time for the eve's main attraction....... Mr TV Smith & the Valentines.








The last time I saw this fella was with his band 'Cheap' at the Duchess of York in Leeds many, many moons ago. However, the biggest reality check of all this, is the last time I saw him playing these songs was at Wakefield Unity Hall more years ago than I really want to count, for it really doth make me feel aged.
 Not so Mr Smith. His hair has taken on a rather silver hue, but he looks in great shape. What's more, & this really is rather heartwarming, he's still the dapper dresser that he was years ago still bearing that D.I.Y attitude. Bloody marvellous!








Within a matter of moments, yours truly was knee deep in punk rock classics from his past.
 Bored teenagers, bombsite boy, the great British mistake & pretty much everything from 'Crossing the red sea' along with a smattering of songs from 'Cast of thousands' were  performed in all their glory. Thus leaving your genial host with the largest of shit eating grins.
Only one little niggle that I had was Mr Smiths between song commentary, seeming to play the whole 'we're all being oppressed' card a little too heavily. Tim; you're one of the greatest song writers of our time & your songs speak for themselves without the need for the inter song political broadcast. Just a minor quibble & merely 'my own personal', you understand.









Such wonderful songs that have truly stood the test of time, ageing not a slither.
The evenings entertainment was rounded off by a few songs from Mr Smiths more recent work. Namely the title track of his latest album, 'Coming in to land' & 'The good times are back' from Misinformation overload'.
Showing that our hero has lost none of his songwriting touch.
 All I can conclude matters with my dears, is a massive thank you to the man who came to town & played the songs which formed the soundtrack to my very early life.




                       TV Smith & the Valentines.............'SALUTE!'
Chin chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment