Monday 1 August 2011

The Dickies

Leeds Brudenell social club: 18-7-11
Oooh; the decisions, the decisions. Do we go to see the Dickies, or do we sit in, chill & watch the intense drama unfold on Coronation Street? Well I have to say, the cobbles of Weatherfield nearly won the day, but Madame Tightpocket had an overriding urge to show off her new ornate hosiery. So off we went to String 'o' beads & the Brudenell Social Club. One of the finest, most prestigious venues in the north of England.

  First up & I'm thoroughly glad we missed 'em was the ridiculously named 'Geoffrey Oicott'. A band with more than a passing interest in one of the most hated men on the planet. Hot on their heels was the 2nd rate Clasherama of 'Cyanide pills'.
 Believe me dear readers, I was positively craving the next gripping instalment in the mundane lives of Ken & Dierdrie Barlow.

 So it was, with great relief when the Dickies finally took to the boards & they did so with some aplomb, crashing from one minor classic into another. However, before I could stand back & enjoy the gig, there was a task which had to be undertaken; I had to get a shot of Stan Lee with that personalised yellow Gibbo. Job done (great success).


 Now the Dickies are famous for their short, sharp, catchy pop songs, but this was unbelievable. Seriously; it was a case of 'blink & you'll miss it'. I can recall a lot of the songs they played but I guess the best way of remembering their tunes is by recalling the costume & prop changes.

Leonard firstly donned a sweaty old towel round his shoulders for Gigaqntor, then he had a cute doggy hand puppet for Poodle party. For You drive me ape you big gorilla, you guessed it; a gorilla mask was produced from the Dickies vast vaudeville trunk.
 However the most alarming, strange & disturbing prop he used was a huge, fluffy penis glove puppet for their rendition of the Whos' see me feel me touch me heal me. Quite what the significance of this prop for this song was, I will never know, & I fear I do not want to. But dear reader, I regret to inform, that was not all. Oh no my dears, that self same fluffy cock puppet had the hugest pair of throbbing, pendulous balls swinging at the rear, somewhere near Leonards elbow. I fear my life will never be the same again.

I guess after having witnessed a performance of  such epic theatrical proportions, one has to ask of oneself. 'Are you not entertained? Oh yes my little cherubs, we were thoroughly entertained. One cannot ask for more.
 Although I can't help but wonder what happened to Ken & Dreary!
Chin chin my dears.







No comments:

Post a Comment